This week kicked off the official start of Summer, and with school out, parents everywhere are scrambling to fill the newly-found free time. It can be a struggle to find the perfect summer activities, so for our Flower Mound residents we have compiled some of the town’s programs and events to keep your kids plenty busy having a unforgettable Summer vacation!
Friday Nite Live!
Friday Nite Live! is a great way for your kids to enjoy a night out, and for you to enjoy a night off. Friday Nite Live! is a safe, fun, professionally supervised youth program full of coordinated activities to keep children engaged and entertained. New activities including crafts, dancing, dodgeball, and face painting start every fifteen minutes, so there’s always something to look forward to.
Flower Mound Public Library
The Flower Mound Public Library is offering a wide variety of events for all ages this summer. For the bookworms, adult and kids’ summer reading programs, weekly story time classes, and adult and kids’ book clubs are going all summer. There is also a teen writing group and Theater on Thursdays, which features fun and entertaining shows of magic, animals, clowns, balloon artists, storytellers, and juggling.
The Community Activity Center
The Flower Mound Community Activity Center (CAC) carries the brunt of the workload, and offers an enormous variety of fun activities for all ages, all summer long.
For the Kids
- Explorer Camp – Join the Recreation staff at the CAC for these week long camps! Each week includes a field trip in the DFW Metroplex, arts and crafts, playing games, and swimming at the CAC.
- Ages: Entering 1st-5th grades
- Location: CAC Multipurpose Rooms
- Cost: Weeks 1-4, 6-11: $160/$176 (Week 5*: $128/$141)
- Additional Sibling Cost: Weeks 1-4, 6-11: $130/$143 (Week 5*: $104/$115)
- Adventure Camp – For activities to keep your Middle Schooler occupied for the summer? Join the CAC Recreation staff for week-long camps where campers will take daily field trips across DFW. Camp activities include paintball, laser tag, Speed Zone, Jump Street, and more!
- Ages: Entering 6th-9th grades
- Location: CAC Chill Zone before/after daily field trips the throughout DFW Metroplex
- Cost: Weeks 1-4, 6-11: $195/$215 (Week 5*: $156/$172)
- Additional Sibling Cost: Weeks 1-4, 6-11: $165/$185 (Week 5*: $132/$148)
- Themes for Explorer & Adventure Camps:
- Week 4 (Jun 27 – Jul 1): Dr. Seuss Week
- Week 5 (Jul 5-8): Superhero Week
- Week 6 (Jul 11-15): Sports Week
- Week 7 (Jul 18-22): Time Travel
- Week 8 (Jul 25-29): Under the Sea
- Week 9 (Aug 1-5): Lights, Camera, ACTION!
- Week 10 (Aug 8-12): Science Rocks!
- Week 11 (Aug 15-19): Adios Amigos!
The CAC boasts fourteen sports camps, ranging from traditional sports to a Cinderella-themed dance camp. Tennis camps and programs for kids in elementary and middle school will be available all summer.
Specialty camps abound at the CAC, and offer activities in just about everything your child could want. Six LEGO-themed camps cover building LEGO big machines, a LEGO city, Martian robotics, sport vehicles, robot drag racing, and robot battle mania. If your child loves to invent and create, the CAC has five different camps for them to tinker and discover. Camps ranging from fashion design to art to filmmaking are where your creative kid will want to be this summer. If you have a child that wants to know more about the world around them, camps covering dinosaurs, forensics labs, the outdoors, and chemistry are available.
For the Adults
Wanting to relive (or begin) the days of playing team sports? Floorball, a type of indoor hockey, is a non-contact, co-ed sports camp that you won’t want to miss. If you want to get out on the dance floor, meet new people, and have a blast while doing it, the CAC is the place to go. Dance classes from line dancing to ballroom style to country western are offered. If you’re looking for a fun group experience and want to get in shape, group exercise classes include Insanity, Yoga, Zumba, Tabata, Pilates, cardio challenges, and water aerobics. For those who love the game, tennis programs ranging from beginner to intermediate are going on all summer.
For more information on specific camps/programs, dates, prices, and registration for all events at the CAC, click HERE!
Other Great Options
If you’re the parent of a gymnast, you’ll want to sign your child up for gymnastics camps at Best Gymnastics or WinKids. Both venues are great options whether learning for the first time, or honing in their skills. There are programs for all age groups.
For kids dreaming of rock stardom, summer bad camps at School of Rock with help them follow their dreams with other musically inclined future stars.
Lastly, a great family-friendly option this Summer is at the Studio Art House. The venue offers art classes for kids, teens and adults. Studio Art House has available classes for ages 3 to adult working toward museum quality art, plus Summer art camps that will spark your interest in art and creativity!
The Rhodes Team wants to be your source for all housing and community aspects of your area. If you are interested in learning more about Flower Mound, or are wanting to speak with an area expert regarding buying or selling a home in Flower Mound, please contact us today at 972-899-5600.