When the time comes for the temperature to drop, there are a few “housekeeping” items that are crucial to ensuring your home is as protected as possible. The Rhodes Team has compiled a list of items to follow to help you avoid damage during down-right cold temps.
1. Disconnect & drain any garden hoses & store them in a warm location.
2. Close your Garage doors
3. Locate your water main cut-off valve & have a cut-off key handy
4. Have your furnace inspected before cold weather arrives! Install a clean air filter & check the thermostat to ensure it is working correctly
5. Have your fireplaces inspected before using them & cleaned if needed
6. Insulate outdoor electrical outlets, switches & faucets with foam covers available at home stores
7. Replace or repair weather stripping around doors & windows
8. Run ceiling fans in reverse on low to circulate warm air through your home
9. Use draft snakes on window sills, frames & door bottoms to block any drafty spaces
10. Have plenty of fuel on hand dependent on your method of heating; propane, wood, etc..
11. Clean your downspouts & gutters to prevent ice build-up
12. If you plan on leaving for an extended period of time, leave cabinet doors open & faucets dripping to prevent pipes from freezing
The best defense to ensuring your home’s safety during freezing temperatures is being proactive in prevention. The Rhodes Team is your source for everything Real Estate in North Texas. If you have any other questions regarding winterizing your home, please give us a call at 972-899-5600.